Fairlawn House (formerly Fovant House) was built in 1838 for local surgeon Mr George Best Batho and is now a Grade II listed building, which means it is a protected heritage site in England.
Over the years the house has had many uses; a family home for Mr. Batho, a doctor's surgery for Doctor Charles Pyle, an auction house and an esteemed ladies finishing school to name just a few!
Georgian architecture is represented by some of the world's most handsome buildings. The sash windows and semi - circular fanlights (just like the one above the front door on 10 Downing Street, London, the home of the British Prime Minister) and other ornate designs originated from Ancient Greece and Neo-Palladianism of the Italian Renaissance. The planning documentation from the 1830's notes specifically the House's Flemish bonded brickwork, portico framed doorway with Tuscan columns of pilaster in antis.
The House still retains many of these original features including a wonderful curved staircase and a very unusual internal wind indicator.